The Sauer Group

History

Company origins and chronicle 1884 – 2011

1884

1st of April: established by Wilhelm Poppe as a brass foundry in the Faulstraße in the city centre of Kiel.

1929

Move to todays premises in Friedrichsort, Hecktstraße, with takeover of the site and the building of the Otto Runge Maschinenfabrik.

1930

Start of compressor product range

1933

Acquisition of the majority of shares by the Wilhelm Ahlmann bank in Kiel.

1947

Transformation into Wilhelm Poppe GmbH Kompressorenfabrik Kiel-Pries.

1953

Acquisition of the company’s shares by Walter Murmann,
grandfather of today’s owner Hendrik Murmann.

1966

Purchase of the rifle manufacturer J.P. Sauer & Sohn GmbH, Eckernförde, established 1751 in Suhl.

1967

Acquisition of the Sundstrand hydraulics licence from the USA.

1968

Merger of Poppe, Hydromechanik and Veltrup under the name of the rifle factory to become J.P. Sauer & Sohn Maschinenbau GmbH.

1969

Spin-off of the Sundstrand hydraulics range and establishment of the independent company Sauer Getriebe KG, Neumünster, by Dr. Klaus Murmann, the oldest brother of the then owner, Consul Dr Dieter Murmann.

1975

Sale of the Aachen hydraulics product range and the hydraulic valve production in Kiel to the Sauer Getriebe KG, Neumünster.

1976

Acquisition of the rifle factory in Eckernförde by the Swiss Industrie gesellschaft SIG. The mechanical engineering division in Kiel trading again under the name J.P. Sauer & Sohn Maschinenbau GmbH. Now concentrating on the compressor range.

1989

Acquisition of the french compressor manufacturer Techniques Girodin S.A., Houilles/Paris. Trading name changed to Girodin-Sauer S.A.

1990

Acquisition from the Masco Group of ALUP-Kompressoren GmbH & Co. KG,
Köngen nearby the city of Stuttgart.

1992

Setting up of the Sauer Compressors UK sales office in Colchester, England.

1998

Purchase of majority holding in CKD Zandov, a.s., Zandov, CZ, from CKD Praha Holding a.s., Prague, CZ. Trading name changed to Sauer Zandov, a.s. Establishment of Sauer Compressors USA, Inc. in Stevensville, Maryland.

2000

Sale of ALUP Kompressoren GmbH & Co. KG to the Abac Group, Turin, Italy.

2003

1st of January: 50 th anniversary of the Murmann family as shareholders. Dr Edgar Schmitt and Sales Manager Dipl.-Ing. Harald Schulz appointed as managing directors. Inauguration of the “New Assembly Hall”

2004

1st of July: Consul Dr Dieter Murmann changes from being an active member of the management board to become chairman of the Advisory Board of the Sauer Group. Sales and Service office Sauer Compressors Asia established in Shanghai, China.

2008

New test stands, paint shop built and production facilities in Kiel modernized. Test stands, manufacture and assembly facilities in Zandov expanded. 8th of December: establishment of Elgi Sauer Compressor Ltd. together with the Indian company Elgi, as minority shareholder (26 %). 23rd of December: acquisition of long-standing Sauer agency Amrit in Italy – continued as sales office Amrit Sauer Compressori srl.

2009

15th of May: celebration of the 125th anniversary of the company and inauguration of the new building.

2011

Establishment of the Russian subsidiary Sauer Compressors CIS

2011

Hendrik Murmann joins the company in April as CEO.

2013

Gründung von der brasilianischen Gesellschaft Sauer do Brasil – Indústria, Comércio e Serviços para Compressores Ltda.

2016

Integration der HAUG Sauer Kompressoren AG, St. Gallen, Schweiz als Kompetenzzentrum für ölfreie Technologien

 Product Finder
Show menu